How To Keep Wasps Off Your Dallas Yard
April 15, 2022
Are you someone who likes to spend time outdoors? Did you purchase your property with the intent of being able to enjoy nature or have a place for your kids to safely play? If so, wasps are insects you do not want buzzing around. These stinging pests are a threat to anyone trying to enjoy nature. If you live here in Dallas and are looking for ways to keep different types of wasps off your property, here are some things to consider today.
What Do Wasps In Dallas Look Like?
There are a few different types of wasps that live here in Dallas. Some of the most common are paper wasps, mud wasps, cicada killers wasps, baldfaced hornets, and yellow jackets. Although very similar in appearance (they all have pinched waists and smooth exteriors) these different species are all unique.
- A paper wasp is ⅝ to ¾” long and brown with yellow markings.
- A mud wasp, or mud dauber, is ½ to 1” long, has a very thin and long connector between its thorax and abdomen, and is black with pale markings or a metallic luster.
- A cicada killer wasp is 2" in length, has a thicker body, and is black with yellow markings.
- A bald-faced hornet is ¾ to 1” long, and usually has a black body with white markings.
- A yellow jacket is ⅜ to ⅝” long, black, and has yellow markings.
How Dangerous Are Wasps In Dallas?
One thing you should know about wasps is that different species are more or less likely to attack humans. Mud daubers hardly ever attack people and will only sting if they feel directly threatened or trapped. Yellow jackets, on the other hand, are very territorial and will attack people they deem a threat to their nest. They become even more aggressive during the fall when their queens are preparing for hibernation. Another thing you should know is that all wasp stings hurt differently. Paper wasps have the most painful stings in our area. If you are allergic to insect venom, a sting from a wasp could cause more than just pain. Consult with your doctor to understand your risk.
Natural Wasp-Prevention Tips For Dallas Properties
All wasp nests start with the promise of food and safety. If your Dallas property does not feel safe or inviting to wasps, they will decide to build their nests somewhere else. Keeping this in mind, here is how to prevent wasps naturally.
- When eating outdoors, keep drinks and food dishes covered as much as possible.
- Pick up fruit and berries that drop into your yard.
- Fill in holes and burrows that have been dug around your lawn.
- Remove ground pests from your property.
- Consider removing budding plants and flowers from your garden and yard.
- Do not feed your pets outdoors, or clean out their bowls after every meal.
- Avoid using hummingbird feeders on your property.
- Knock down nests that are smaller than a golf ball, when no wasps are home.
The Safest Form Of Wasp Control In Dallas
If you are looking for how to get wasps out of your house or the best way to get rid of a wasp nest on your property, we have options for you at Addison Pest Control. Our team of licensed specialists has the safety equipment and training needed to remove nests and active wasps from your Dallas home and property. With us on your side, you will have a quick response to any new nests that you spot on your property.
Call today to find out more about how Addison Pest Control handles wasps and schedule your Dallas property for a visit.